Spring 2023 final exam details
Final exams for spring 2023 will take place Thursday, May 4 - Saturday, May 6, and Monday, May 8 - Wednesday, May 10 with Study Days on Tuesday, May 2, Wednesday, May 3, and Sunday, May 7. To view the final exam times, see the final exam schedule.
The Office of Classroom Management will assume you plan to conduct your final exam online unless you request a classroom. You can request a classroom for a final exam to be held in person if your class is scheduled with an In-Person or Blended modality. To request a classroom for a final exam, submit the Final Exam Request form.
The deadline to submit this form for spring 2023 is March 3, 2023.
Changes to final exams must also be requested using this form. These include:
- New date and time of exam
- Length of exam
- Request a specific classroom
- Request alternate seating
- Request specific room features
Guidelines for all online final exams
- All synchronous classes holding synchronous online exams will follow the published Standard Final Exam Schedule.
- All synchronous classes holding asynchronous online exams should ensure the due date for their exam is not earlier than the published Standard Final Exam Schedule day/time.
- All asynchronous classes holding synchronous online exams should take their final exam on Thursday, May 4, 2023.
- All asynchronous classes holding asynchronous online exams should ensure the due date for their exam is no later than Wednesday, May 10, 2023.
Final exam regulations
All rules set forth in the Final Exam Regulations apply to all online and in-person final exams.
- All Remote Instruction (online synchronous) and Online Classes (online asynchronous) final exams will be conducted online.
- All In-Person Classes' and Blended Classes' final exams will default to being conducted online. Classes scheduled as In-Person or Blended may choose to request a classroom for their final exam to be held in-person using the Final Exam Request form by March 3, 2023.
- The Final Exam Request form must be submitted for all changes to the final exam date, time (for both online and in-person exams), and location, including classroom requests (e.g., a classroom with a different style of seating). Form deadline for spring 2023 is March 3, 2023.
If students have exam conflicts or three (or more) final exams within one calendar day, they may request adjustment with their college office and instructors. Such a request must be presented at least two weeks before the exam period begins. To make up the exam, students must obtain the instructor's permission.
Instructors may not vary from the University final exam schedule except by concurrence of the dean of the college and the director of scheduling. This prohibition also precludes moving a final exam from a scheduled time to study day or to the last or earlier meetings of the class, except laboratory final exams which cannot be held in accordance with the regular final exam schedule.
Final exam change requests
To request a change to final exam hours, departments must submit a change request through the Final Exam Request form. Doing so will ensure orderly consideration of student hardships. Additional common exams may be requested on the form, including room requests. Please be aware of the following:
- Instructors who request any variation from the official final exam schedule must agree to give a special make-up exam to any students who (1) have overlapping final exam conflicts, or (2) have three (or more) exams in one calendar day.
- Authorized final exam variations and make-up exams should be conducted using time frames found in the final exam schedule.
- Each college shall assume responsibility for making arrangements to spread out exams for students who have three (or more) exams scheduled in one calendar day.
- Three-hour exams will be scheduled on the half-day that the corresponding two-hour exams would have been given.
- Exams are scheduled from 8:30 a.m.-11:30 a.m. or from 1:30 p.m.-4:30 p.m.
University Senate policy decrees that no extracurricular events which require the participation of students may be scheduled from the beginning of study day to the end of finals week. Exceptions to this policy may be granted by the Senate Committee on Educational Policy. The Senate advises all faculty members that students who are unable to complete course requirements during finals week shall be provided an alternative and timely opportunity to do so.
Common final exams
Common final exams are pre-approved final exams for courses that have multiple sections with large enrollments that need to be conducted together at the same time. The Final Exam Request form does NOT need to be submitted for Common Exams. See the final exam schedule to see pre-approved common exams. Please contact email@example.com with any questions.